Monday, April 25, 2011

Grilling Cajun with Chef of the Future - Seasoning Review

Not Your Average Cajun Seasoning by Chef of the Future

I've been grilling and cooking inside too with Not Your Average Cajun Seasoning for several months now, and it is one of my all time favorite seasonings.

When you hear the word "cajun" and you're not from that area, you may start thinking "blazing hot." While you can get really hot food in cajun country, it's not all about the heat. They have a range of flavors ranging from mild to hot and a lot in between.

Robert (AKA - Chef of the Future) offered to send out a bottle of his seasoning Not Your Average Cajun Seasoning, and I was curious about this one especially given the long name. He did warn me ahead of time that it was not a hot mix.

I don't remember the first foods we had when trying out NYACS, but this week, I grilled shrimp and vegetables in a grill wok with Allegro Soy & Lime marinade and seasoned with Not Your Average Cajun Seasoning.

Wok Grilled Shrimp with Not Your Average Cajun Seasoning

This is a super easy dinner. I just marinate the shrimp and veggies (like green peppers and mushrooms) and then put them in a heated grill with the wok warmed up. It takes around 20 minutes for the meal to be ready (stirring now and then). I usually make rice to go with our grilled shrimp.

The Guys Enjoying Shrimp Seasoned with NYACS

Chef of the Future gets thumbs up all round from my mild son to my son who does love spicy food. This makes for a great all purpose seasoning that I can use on just about everything - probably not on cake or pie etc - but certainly yummy on foods I grill and in scrambled eggs, popcorn, and even in my Seven Layer Dip.

Seven Layer Dip With Not Your Average Cajun Seasoning

We had a family dinner yesterday, and I made Seven Layer Dip but used NYACS as the signature flavor rather than taco seasoning. It turned out really yummy.

How to Make Seven Layer Dip with Chef of the Future Seasoning

1. Get a 9 inch pie plate or a Tupperware container like I use that is in that size range.

2. Spread a can of refried beans (around 10 oz) on the bottom and sprinkle with NYACS. This is a lot less expensive than buying bean dip. And, I prefer to add the seasonings myself anyone so that I can vary the flavors a bit or make the dip milder or hotter.

3. On top of the beans, spread a layer of guacamole dip (10 oz - give or take). You can buy it pre-made or make your own. I usually guy Dean's guacamole dip which is really good.

4. In a small bowl, mix a teaspoon or two of Not Your Average Cajun Seasoning with 8 oz of sour cream. Some people go a little heavier on the sour cream. Mix that and then layer on top of the guacamole.

5. If serving the next day, refrigerate at this point. If serving the same day, then add the toppings - some chopped tomatoes, chopped scallions (the little green ends on new onions), and black olives (if you like those).

6. Sprinkle cheese on top. You can shread cheddar. Here I had a 4 mexi-mix cheese pre-shredded so used that on top.

7. Keep chilled in a covered container until ready to dig in with tortilla chips.

Yum! This is a TOP PICK seasoning around here.

We really love Chef of the Future - Not Your Average Cajun Seasoning. It does have a unique taste. It's 100% natural with spices and a little lemon. You get a robust flavor with a slight kick but not a scorch which would limit how you might use NYACS. I grill and cook with this seasoning, but we also use it on the table as a "go to" for whatever we're having for breakfast, lunch, or dinner.

5 comments:

tripp rion said...

I got some of this spice and it is good stuff, fo sho!

Anonymous said...

I love 1 pot meals and that low country boil looks great!

Even more I love BBQ! All the food looked great

http://bbqandwomen.blogspot.com/

Anonymous said...

Stumbled into this content by chance but I'm sure glad I clicked on that link. You definitely answered all the questions I have been dying to answer for some time now. Will without doubt come back for more of this. Thank you so much

Anonymous said...

Does your website have a contact page? I'm having a tough time locating it but, I'd like to send you an e-mail.

I've got some ideas for your blog you might be interested in hearing.
Either way, great site and I look forward to seeing it improve
over time.

CA said...

I'll check on that. I've not been on Barbecue Master for a while. My email is cyndiallison@gmail.com. Remind me that you asked here. Thanks.