Sunday, April 18, 2010

Catawbapalooza 2010 - Fun in the Sun and Grilled Burgers and Hot Dogs



We always have a fun day at Catawba College each spring before the last couple of weeks of school. It's Catawbapalooza, and the students grill out and host games and enjoy some carnival rides set up in the back parking lot.

The grill guys were excited to have a new gas grill this year. It takes a big grill to crank out enough grilled food for a whole college. There are around 900 day students total, plus the students invite faculty and staff out to enjoy the day as well (THANKS!). A head count would be hard, but I can say it's a crowd. I've been to Catawbapalooza every year, and I would say this is the biggest turn out ever.

The guys rotated on grilling which was good, because it was a scorching sunny day this year, and it gets hot standing over a grill.



One real popular activity this year was Corn Hole. It's kind of like horseshoes, but it's more portable (wooden boxes that fold down). Also, you don't have to worry about beaning someone with a metal horseshoe. You throw bags filled with corn instead.



Everyone went back and forth to get food and drinks during the day. The big tent was packed at times, and Brandon and some of the other students were burning a trail up the hill to restock both food and drinks. If you don't have college aged kids, then I must tell you that they can pack away some food. I usually double amounts over what I do for family, unless it's mostly girls. Then, I don't grill as much, since most college girls eat like birds.



Speaking of the college girls, here is a whole hill of young ladies who found a little shade. They are definitely styling this event. Well, I don't have to point that out now do I?

Some of my best students are mixed in there including the newspaper editor. So, hi Aly and Jen! Hope to see some Catawbapalooza articles and photos in The Pioneer (our online student newspaper - brand new this year).



The students at Catawba are terrific! They are smart and funny, and they make my job something I care deeply about. I have to hang tough in class and make sure they get what they need for the future, and it is really nice to have a day where we can all let our hair down.

* I got over 100 photos of Catawbapalooza 2010, so if any students want to check those out, they are at FaceBook under my user name Cyndi Allison.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi there it's me, I am also visiting this web page daily,
this web site is genuinely nice and the people are actually sharing good thoughts.